e-mealz

I <3 Emealz

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

and Re-Planted

For those who don't live in middle-TN, you may or may not have heard of the horrible flood that has come through the region. Not only did it destroy my precious little garden (a small loss compared to most) but also temporary shelters are at capacity, missing people are unaccounted for, many homes are under water, we're in a water conservation emergency, much of Nashville's economic base is threatened by flood damage, etc, etc. Please contact the Red Cross to Help.



So, my mother planted three rows of tomatoes that survived the flood, they were planted outside of the water path. I managed to save 5 plants (one sweet pepper, one jalapeno and three tomatoes). Just yesterday, we found many bean sprouts that washed away to another part of the property. I expect to see corn, potatoes, pumpkins and who knows what else cropping up. Or perhaps you may see my seeds cropping up where you live....

So, the flood washed away a lot of topsoil, so much so that we aren't going to plant the whole garden this season. Therefore, I was able to get 2 rows, but they are long because they are plowed horizontally rather than vertically. I replanted most everything except corn and sunflowers. There just wasn't enough room. That will be next year.

Our plan for this year is to get a load of topsoil for parts of the garden that lost it. We hope after harvest to plow and plant clover.

Even though it was washed out and we had double work, I have hopes that it will mean good things for the garden. More nutrients perhaps? We'll see....keep in touch for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

background

Followers

About Me

My photo
Christian, Wife, Mother of two, Gardener, Quilter, Conservative, Wife of Musician, Homemaker, Average Cook, Homeowner, Outside Cat Owner, Owner of a miniature schnauzer, Office Manager and Nursery Coordinator and American Citizen.