e-mealz

I <3 Emealz

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Blackberries!

So it's blackberry season.  By the end of June we should have loads and loads of blackberries. Now I can't lie, blackberries are not my favorite fruit.  I don't like biting into seeds, but my Granny can make a fierce blackberry cobbler.  My son on the other hand can eat the berries right off the vine in mass proportion.  

My sons ability to walk right up to a blackberry vine is a direct result of my "Pop paw's" plan to grow thornless, thumb-sized berries.  Now I have heard that the thornless berries are better for pies and cobblers since they are not as sweet as wild blackberries...BUT there is certainly a price to pay to get those delicious, wild blackberries.  The wild berries are just that WILD. They are brutal and their thorns show no mercy.

This past spring my mother and cleared the brush near the garden to allow for easy lawn mowing.  We scratched our skin up trying to battle through loads on thorn bushes.  After a painful battle, we felt that we saved the person on the mower from brutal scarring and pain. Little did we know, only a few months later, those vicious vines popped right back up....it was then we realized we were fighting wild blackberries.

Regardless, scratches or not, we'll be picking all those berries both domestic and wild.  

1 comment:

  1. I can't WAIT to come over again and let the kids pick some black berries again. That was so much fun.

    You seriously impress me. I know you have help, but to think you have like 3 jobs plus you are a mommy, too, is just amazing. I don't know how you do it all.
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete

background

Followers

About Me

My photo
Christian, Wife, Mother of two, Gardener, Quilter, Conservative, Wife of Musician, Homemaker, Average Cook, Homeowner, Outside Cat Owner, Owner of a miniature schnauzer, Office Manager and Nursery Coordinator and American Citizen.