e-mealz

I <3 Emealz

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Zucchini-Squash Casserole

Every month at church we have a pot-luck. For all of my southern friends, this is the norm for church fellowship....perhaps this is the norm all over the country, but it is especially prevalent in the south. So our church always has the same people bring the same type of food For example, because my last name starts with 'A' I get to bring vegetables. To be clear this does not include salad nor does it include potatoes. Usually I have difficulty coming up with a vegetable, but not during the summer.

So, since squash and zucchini are in season, I am going to make a squash and zucchini casserole. I asked my mother and granny what they do to create a great Squash/Zucchini casserole (because to be honest, I don't make a lot of Squash and Zucchini). They gave me some good southern cooking ideas, and I am adding some of my favorite casserole dish techniques to spice it up a little. I tried to be ingenious and come up with a clever recipe name, but since it's for a church pot-luck it would be wrong to call it something other than Zucchini-Squash Casserole (though I'd rename it if I were in MN to Zucchini-Squash Hotdish). One day maybe it'll be Mrs. Ask's famous Zucchini-Squash Casserole, but for now it is simply an attempt to make an excellent casserole.


ZUCCHINI-SQUASH CASSEROLE
From Lisa Ask's Kitchen
with secrets from Mom & Granny

Preheat over to 350 degrees.

Chop 3 Zucchini, 3 Squash into one inch cubes. Finely chop small onion.

Saute Vegetables in 1/2 Stick Butter until soft but not mushy.

Season vegetables to taste with the following ingredients:
Sugar
Garlic Salt
Black Pepper

Pour sauteed vegetables into a 9x13" casserole. Add a cup of shredded cheese and combine. I use Colby/Jack.

Combine one stick of melted butter, one sleeve crushed Ritz Cracker and 1/2-1 cup Italian Bread Crumbs (enough to top the casserole)

Bake 20 minutes or until bubbly!

1 comment:

  1. How was it? My aunt puts an egg or two in her squash casserole, which I like because it firms it up a bit. I think the biggest difficulty in making up recipes is remembering what you did from one time to the next - good job of blogging it so you'll know!

    ReplyDelete

background

Followers

About Me

My photo
Christian, Wife, Mother of two, Gardener, Quilter, Conservative, Wife of Musician, Homemaker, Average Cook, Homeowner, Outside Cat Owner, Owner of a miniature schnauzer, Office Manager and Nursery Coordinator and American Citizen.